Newbie needs to create a client/server system

From: <shivesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2005 20:49:08 -0700

Hi,

This thread is intended for experienced client/server database system designers, and I need advice on how to build such a system.

I'm currently working for a foreign embassy in the US, and since I'm the only engineer hired in the company, and since they just decided to upgrade from paper/telephone system to an all-computer system, they gave this job to me: Implementing a client/server database system.

This is not a large organization, 10-20 employees. There will be 1 server. and probably at most 20 clients, but clients will be connected from 2 different locations, 1 from a foreign country, and 1 from the same place as the server.

Basically the database will contain all employees data, customer data, customer orders, perhaps even company's finance stuff. the system must be able to handle simultaneous client accesses and update data in an efficient and correct fashion. The usual DB stuff.

I need to write both the client application and server backend. Obviously, I think we are going to use Oracle for the whole system. This is my first time doing the complete database design, does anyone have any suggestions to any sites, books that would allow me to complete the system (from scratch)?

Also, what should be the expected charge ($) to complete this whole system, in your opinion? Received on Tue Apr 12 2005 - 22:49:08 CDT