Re: Newbie needs to create a client/server system

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:53:02 -0700

shivesh_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This thread is intended for experienced client/server database system
> designers, and I need advice on how to build such a system.
>
> I'm currently working for a foreign embassy in the US, and since I'm
> the only engineer hired in the company, and since they just decided to
> upgrade from paper/telephone system to an all-computer system, they
> gave this job to me: Implementing a client/server database system.
>
> This is not a large organization, 10-20 employees. There will be 1
> server. and probably at most 20 clients, but clients will be connected
> from 2 different locations, 1 from a foreign country, and 1 from the
> same place as the server.
>
> Basically the database will contain all employees data, customer data,
> customer orders, perhaps even company's finance stuff. the system must
> be able to handle simultaneous client accesses and update data in an
> efficient and correct fashion. The usual DB stuff.
>
> I need to write both the client application and server backend.
> Obviously, I think we are going to use Oracle for the whole system.
> This is my first time doing the complete database design, does anyone
> have any suggestions to any sites, books that would allow me to
> complete the system (from scratch)?
>
> Also, what should be the expected charge ($) to complete this whole
> system, in your opinion?

Contact me off-line at the University of Washington and I can likely arrange for you to get what you need at a cost you can afford. Provided, of course, you are not from North Korea, Libya, or Iran. I might even have a student or two that could implement with globalization.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington