Re: How do I configure dbca (10.1.0.3.0 Std. Ed. on linux) ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:59:04 -0800

jdevroberto_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use dbca to install OEM Database Control on my
> 10.1.0.3.0 DB.
>
> I should not need to configure dbca;
> it should be smart enough to detect my DB and
> connect to it.
>
> How do I configure dbca?
>
> Currently I do this on my linux box:
>
> Use sqlplus to verify the DB is up and that
> my env vars are okay.
>
> I verify that the listener and TNS is working via:
>
> sqlplus system/howdy_at_dev
>
> Then, I type
> dbca&
>
> It appears in my X display.
>
> I click next
>
> I click 'configure database options'
>
> It then shows the name of the DB which is 'dev'.
>
> I'm not sure where it gets the string.
>
> I know, via experiment, that it is not getting it from ORACLE_SID.
>
> 'dev', however is the name of my DB so I click next.
>
> I click
> 'configure the database with enterprise manager'
> I check
> 'use database control for database management'
>
> I click next
>
> I click past the 'database components' screen.
>
> I enter passwds in the password screen and then I click next.
>
> In the next screen I pick 'dedicated server' mode.
>
> then I click 'finish'.
>
> It tries to connect to the db and the listener refuses
> the connection.
>
> The error window:
> ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly specified.
>
> So back to my question,
> I use dbca to configure the DB,
> but how do I configure dbca??
>
> Some kind of special env variable?
> A string in a file somewhere?
>
> I want to avoid fiddling with netservices,
> they seem to work okay with sqlplus and other tools
> which connect via TNS.
>
> -moi

It should be smart enough to detect your DB? You should be smart enough to read the documentation. Touche'

What does DBCA have to do with an existing database? And what since when does one "configure" DBCA?

I am wholly confused by your post. Are you perhaps referring to NETCA?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington