How do I configure dbca (10.1.0.3.0 Std. Ed. on linux) ?

From: <jdevroberto_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Mar 2005 17:24:33 -0800

Hi,

I want to use dbca to install OEM Database Control on my 10.1.0.3.0 DB.

I should not need to configure dbca;
it should be smart enough to detect my DB and connect to it.

How do I configure dbca?

Currently I do this on my linux box:

Use sqlplus to verify the DB is up and that my env vars are okay.

I verify that the listener and TNS is working via:

sqlplus system/howdy_at_dev

Then, I type
dbca&

It appears in my X display.

I click next

I click 'configure database options'

It then shows the name of the DB which is 'dev'.

I'm not sure where it gets the string.

I know, via experiment, that it is not getting it from ORACLE_SID.

'dev', however is the name of my DB so I click next.

I click
'configure the database with enterprise manager'
I check
'use database control for database management'

I click next

I click past the 'database components' screen.

I enter passwds in the password screen and then I click next.

In the next screen I pick 'dedicated server' mode.

then I click 'finish'.

It tries to connect to the db and the listener refuses the connection.

The error window:
ORA-12162: TNS:net service name is incorrectly specified.

So back to my question,
I use dbca to configure the DB,
but how do I configure dbca??

Some kind of special env variable?
A string in a file somewhere?

I want to avoid fiddling with netservices, they seem to work okay with sqlplus and other tools which connect via TNS.

-moi Received on Wed Mar 02 2005 - 19:24:33 CST