Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:57:20 -0800

Comments in-line.

NormaJean Sebastian via DBMonster.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I almost read all of the "DB2 vs Oracle" thread...
> The summary I got from that was all databases essentially do the same
> things, the decision of which one you use primarily depends on available
> skillsets, software vendor support, and customer/tech support.

This is not true. There are very substantial differences between the products in terms of architecture, concepts, and capabilities. In one sense they can all be used to create a back-end that "will work." But the capabilities built-in versus those one has to code themselves or purchase from a third-party vendor vary dramatically.

> I will be facing a decision on migrating our SAP Informix database to
> either Oracle, DB2UDB, or Sqlserver. I don't think we are going to
> SqlServer. I have some Oracle experience, I have no DB2 or DB2UDB
> experience, I have lots of Informix experience.

The move from Informix to Oracle is reasonably straight-forward and allows you to continue to work with a real operating system. The inability of SQL Server to provide answers valid to a point in time render it useless or dangerous for a financial application. Certainly if your organization is large enough to be using SAP.

> What I would like to have discussed in this thread is the support and
> quality of support available for DB2UDB (we would run on Sun) and Oracle.

Everyone here will likely favor Oracle as one would or could reasonably expect those at c.d.ibm-db2 to favor DB2 so here are a few things you can do to answer the question yourself.

  1. On-line support. Go to google.com and search for web site providing on-line communities supporting the two environments.
  2. Books. Go to amazon.com and look at the number of books and other publications that support the two environments.
  3. User Groups. Go to google.com and search for user groups that are independent of the vendor and provide support and education.
  4. Conferences. Go to google.com and search for conferences.
  5. Employees. Go to dice.com, monster.com, hotjobs.com and look at the number of jobs currently available as a measure of the number of skilled people that are available in the marketplace.
  6. On-line Documentation. For Oracle go to http://tahiti.oracle.com, http://otn.oracle.com, and http://docs.oracle.com and review the offerings. For DB2 find their equivalent sites.
  7. Training: AFAIK you will not find a single college or university teaching DB2 classes. The number of commercial offerings wholly favors Oracle.

Needless to say you will find a lot more support for Oracle on Sun than DB2 on Sun if only because IBM would prefer you put DB2 on AIX.

> In my short time with Oracle, the support does not match Informix.
> Doesn't even come close. I do not know if perhaps I am just not hooked in
> to the right support channels, or that's really all there is. (I use
> Metalink and rarely have talked to a live Oracle support person).

Nor have I because I rarely need to. But when I have I have never had a problem. Well not never ... not for several years.

> I know nothing of the quality of DB2 UDB support.

If the product is mature and the resources available you shouldn't need to talk to them. I think Informix an excellent product but I am left wondering what has been wrong that you established so much contact with support. I perhaps contact support once or twice a year.

> I am aware the SAP & IBM recently tightened their relationship on the
> DB2/DB2UDB side as informix will be fading out (as an SAP platform).

I think most people are aware that IBM is slowly going to kill Informix.

> Oracle bought PeopleSoft and there are articles about oracle aiming for
> some of SAP's business. Does that make IBM the database vendor of choice
> for SAP?

Not from my standpoint and not from the standpoint of a very large number of SAP's customers including Microsoft.

> I don't want to haggle about technical details of features/functionality
> between IBM's DB2 UDB versus Oracle...

Then don't but what features of the database do you care about? What matters to you? How about the fact that DB2 has a different code base for different operating systems. Change from UNIX to Windows and you might as well be changing to Sybase.

> I want to hear about the non-technical, the touchy-feely human side of
> support. When I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, I want to pick
> up the phone and get help, i don't want the run-around.

Personally I prefer Oracle. Ask the question in the DB2 group and you'll hear the exact opposite so no value in asking the question here or there.

> Please enlighten me on the quality of oracle support, the frequency of
> database patches needed, the frequency of maintenance outages (DBA
> housekeeping and what housekeeping items are needed).
> Same goes for DB2 UDB...

I experience roughly one outage a year almost always caused by personal error of a DBA or SysAdmin. Patches are scheduled quarterly. And I find Oracle as stable as a rock so, as I previously stated, calling support is rare.

> I feel my bottom line decision will not be based on features/functionality,
> but rather on quality of support.
>
> thank you for your input,
> Norma Jean

Not to insult you but my sense here is that you need training rather than support. If you had more training you wouldn't be so invested in the level of support. Better training not only equals fewer problems it also equals enhanced personal ability to advance and find interesting assignments.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington