Re: shutdown mmediate gets hung

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:11:05 -0500

<premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1107190455.737530.190960_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I am on oracle 8.1.6.2 on HP UNIX 11i.
>
> I am using following code to shutdown my database every Sunday:
> svrmgrl <<eof
> connect internal
> shutdown abort
> startup
> shutdown immediate
> exit
> This shutdown has been working fine until now, but this week end
> shutdown immedaite got stuck (see alert.log below):
> Sun Jan 30 15:06:31 2005
> Shutting down instance (immediate)
> License high water mark = 2
> Sun Jan 30 15:06:31 2005
> ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
> Sun Jan 30 15:06:31 2005
> SMON: disabling tx recovery
> Mon Jan 31 05:33:08 2005
>
> Eventhough ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL was issued at 15:06:31, it did
> not shutdown the database.
>

> There was nothng running between startup and shutwon immediate.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to overcome this problem. I use
> shutdown abort (to force shutdown independt of anything running,
> then startup and then shutdown immediate...).
>

> Should I change startup to startup restrict eventhough I do not see
> that is the cause.
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Prem

Everyone has given wise, proper advice. Here is what works:

Don't do the SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. Do another SHUTDOWN ABORT instead. No one will have gotten in between the STARTUIP and the SHUTDOWN ABORT in a script, so another SHUTDOWN ABORT should not cause any problems. Received on Tue Feb 01 2005 - 13:11:05 CST