Re: Beginner help needed in database design

From: Drago Ganic <drago.ganic_at_in2.hr>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:41:55 +0100

Frank,
that is simply wrong. Primary key is a integrity constraint! Constraints are logic statements. This has nothing to do with technology. Your and my  >>Surname + Name<< are intended to be primary keys for us - bad ones as we know. Threrfore we have SSN etc.

Keys are needed for >>identification<< of the other data -- which are for  >>description<<.

Databases (the relational ones for sure) are data + constraints, not just data! Historically the most used constraints just happen to be primary (and foreign) keys because of the identification problem.

Greetings from Croatia,
Drago