Re: shutdown mmediate gets hung

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:55:05 -0800

premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> I don't see I am making any mistakes.

Lets start with the fact that it is on 11i.

> I am just asking people's opinion.

You got mine. I'm not blaming you for the problem but calling it a bug was over the top.

> I am sure you have experience with software development.

Only 36 and a lot of that in Fortran and COBOL so it may not count.

> There is always possibility of a bug,

There is always the possibility of some company being penny wise and pound foolish and trying to run antique software on the latest version of an operating system and hardware architecture too.

If you were using some totally obscure feature that was new to Oracle 8i I would agree with you. But by the time Oracle started selling 8.1.6 they had pretty much mastered SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE.

> hope it is not a software bug, so I can implement a fix for it.

You get a free latte', any size, from Starbucks if it is.

> Prem

Please report back what metalink advises.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington