Re: shutdown mmediate gets hung

From: Goran <goran99_remove_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:30:34 +0100

<premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1107190455.737530.190960_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I am on oracle 8.1.6.2 on HP UNIX 11i.
>
> I am using following code to shutdown my database every Sunday:
> svrmgrl <<eof
> connect internal
> shutdown abort
> startup
> shutdown immediate
> exit
> This shutdown has been working fine until now, but this week end
> shutdown immedaite got stuck (see alert.log below):
> Sun Jan 30 15:06:31 2005
> Shutting down instance (immediate)
> License high water mark = 2
> Sun Jan 30 15:06:31 2005
> ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
> Sun Jan 30 15:06:31 2005
> SMON: disabling tx recovery
> Mon Jan 31 05:33:08 2005
>
> Eventhough ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL was issued at 15:06:31, it did
> not shutdown the database.
>

> There was nothng running between startup and shutwon immediate.

Smon process probably cleans up unused (temp) extents. If it's HPUX, use "top" to make sure that smon uses some (or much) cpu time. It can take *a lot* of time if you use dictionary managed tablespaces with improperly sized extents.
It is quite normal behaviour and has little to do with version (supported or unsupported) of Oracle. It is not a bug. Either wait for it to finish, or abort the instance.. if you abort the instance, smon will normally continue doing it's job after you startup the instance.

Regards... Received on Tue Feb 01 2005 - 05:30:34 CST