Re: Lost oracle passwords on 9i database on windows xp

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 4 Jan 2005 20:14:37 -0800

Coments embedded.

hpuxrac wrote:
> Mr. Fitzjarrell whomever you are, your remarks just cracked me up.

That is interesting, since I am not a professional humourist and, so it seems, neither are you.

> I said I was thankful not to be working with oracle on windows. That
> was all I said. Did I say anything bad about anyone who is forced to
> work in that environment? No I did not. Keeping a paycheck coming
in
> is obviously one of the more important parts of life.

Your comment, as I took it, was condescending, and you haven't improved its delivery with this post. Not all Oracle DBAs and developers working in the Windows environment are 'forced' to do so. It appears you equate Windows with the onset of leprosy. This is simply not true. And I am glad you have a regular paycheck administering Oracle on an operating system of which you approve.

> I answered some persons question, accurately. I probably gave the
> person enough info to get back going.

Please read the original post again. The OP had already attempted to use the advice you provided, before you posted it, and met with failure. You know UNIX, and probably know it well, and for that I commend you. However, you are, by your own admission, unfamiliar with Oracle on Windows; that does not make your answer less correct, but it does make it less than useful.

> You added some additional info in a posting of yours. You appear to
> have more time than I do to contribute, good for you. I believe that
> thanked you for your additional info.

That you did, in passing, just before your off-hand comment of thanksgiving with regard to not working in the Windows wnvironment.

> Evidently you feel very strongly about oracle on windows. If that is
> what makes you happy more power to you.

I do have strong feelings with respect to the Oracle DBAs across the globe and the important jobs they accomplish on a daily basis, regardless of the platform Oracle happens to be installed upon. And I do not go about tossing off what could be construed as demeaning comments on any particular operating system to which Oracle has been ported.

I hope you never are forced to 'soil' yourself (in your opinion) by taking a 'lesser' (again, in your opinion) position administering Oracle in a Windows shop.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 22:14:37 CST