Re: Moving schema from DB2 to Oracle9i

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:34:38 GMT

Harry Boswell wrote:
> I've got to move the database portion of an application from DB2 to
> Oracle9i. I know essentially nothing about DB2; the agency hosting the DB2
> database knows nothing about Oracle. There is a contractor I can go to for
> information, but I need to minimize the amount of time I use with them. For
> the first cut, I simply need to take the DB2 schema and recreate it in an
> Oracle schema, and bring the existing data over. It isn't an emormous
> amount of data - probably less than 1 GB. Can I create a dblink to the DB2
> database and move objects that way? Would I have to use heteregenous
> services to accomplish that? What about third-party tools for this? And
> are there objects within the DB2 world that either don't have a
> corresponding object type in Oracle, or don't exactly correspond?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry Boswell

You don't mention if it's DB2 for the OS/390 or DB2 for Linux, Unix or Windows (LUW(ser)). They are different. However, the information you want is in the migration page on OTN -
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/index.html

You may need an account but it is free

See Oracle Database Conversion Guide for DB2 (OS/390) to Oracle9i - http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/db2_os390_conversion_guide.pdf

Migrating DB2 LUWser - use the migration workbench, see http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/workbench/index.html Received on Tue Jan 04 2005 - 21:34:38 CST