Re: Help with hosting multiple versions of the same schema (1 per client)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:29:36 -0800

Jack Addington wrote:

> No offense taken...
>
> I think you might have misunderstood the first bit. When I meant came
> online as meant as I secure a new client. Nothing to do with runtime.
>
> My big reason for not doing the FGAC idea is that I believe I would have an
> awful time selling that idea to the clients. I'm working in the Jr. Oil &
> Gas industry where everybody is extremely competitive and secret. I'm not
> sure that I would want my confidential data being shared in the same set of
> tables as my competitor.
>
> Are we on different pages?
>
> thx
>
> jack
>
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Comments in-line. And not meant to be rude or disprespectful (Honestly).
>>
>>Jack Addington wrote:
>>

>>>Basically I have a small application that I am hosting the database for.
>>>As each client comes online I need to create a schema for them.
>>
>>This is a terrible design ... truly horrible. Have you considered
>>keeping all rows, for all clients, in a single table and adding a column
>>for schema owner? If so why can't you use it?
>>
>>You mention FGAC later in your post. I would think that a single schema
>>with FGAC would solve the entire problem. If not ... why? I don't see
>>anything in your post that would preclude a normalized design.
>>
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>University of Washington
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

If it can be sold to the military and police departments I think it can be sold to the oil and ... no wait a minute you are probably correct.

I agree with you except with respect to your use of the word "shared". There is nothing shared when using FGAC. The data is just stored in the same logical structure. You could partition by customer and then the data would share a logical structure but be physically distinct.

I am in the process of taking something like what you are considering buiding and putting it all back together again for a very a division of a large aerospace company. After building 20+ schemas they discovered the problems associated with making modifications: Why do it once when you can do it 20+ times and the difficulties in writing code.

I'd suggest you reconsider how you might sell a normalized structure to your customers. Perhaps a liability insurance policy to guarantee the security of their data.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington