Re: Help with hosting multiple versions of the same schema (1 per client)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:34:45 -0800

Jack Addington wrote:

> Sorry I hit send by mistake...
>
> My big reasonning ofr not doing the FGAC are:
>
> 1) No personal experience with it before (weak, I cringe to add it, but I
> have some definate time issues)

Not good enough. Go to http://www.psoug.org. click on Morgan's Library
click on DBMS_RLS
build and run the demo.

The Puget Sound Oracle Users Group teaches FGAC classes a couple times a year too.

> 2) My clients are small to mid-range companies that have different hosting
> needs (me host, they host, 3rd party host) so I really want a simple single
> solution that will work simply anywhere that has an oracle server

I understand. Now think about how you are going to patch, upgrade, and code this thing you are considering. Remember ... you are the parent and will have to personally change each and every dirty diaper.

> 3) I believe you need the enterprise version of Oracle? I run on the small
> business solution (Standard One I think it was called)

Don't know ... and suggest you ask a sales rep.

> 4) Most clients (at least initially) are direct local competitors and I'm
> not sure I could sell the shared database concept...

Sell them on it? Why even discuss it with them? Surely they are not asking you sign-off on your database design. Just give them the appropriate guarantees: In writing ... and back it up with an E&O policy.

> I posted another solution in this thread. What is your take on that?

Didn't see it.

> thanks for you time, even if you made my eyes water :-)
>
> jack

Tear jerker or just plain jerk ... I hope my comments are of some use.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington