Re: RAID 1 or RAID 10?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:19:21 -0800

Ric wrote:

> Just about to set up our new Oracle server. The box is a Dell PowerEdge
> 2850, Dual Xeon 3.6GHz with 4 Gb RAM and 4x 18Gb 15,000 RPM Drives. I am
> about to set up the RAID array and am unsure as what would be best. I was
> originally going to use RAID 5 but am unsure now as I have read so many bad
> things about using it with Oracle. Some form of redundancy is requred so
> here are my proposed alternatives:
>
> 1) 2x RAID 1 arrays - this would give me a total of 36Gb and as each volume
> would be mirrored I would have the necessary fault tolerance. I could then
> split data across the two arrays, i.e. Windows Server 2003 and system files
> on one and data files on the other
>
> 2) 1x RAID 10 array - this would have the data striped over two disks which
> would be mirrored to provide the fault tolerance. I would only have one
> volume but there would be a performance increase due to the striping. I'm
> not sure if there is much worth to having a stripe set with only two disks.
>
> Any strong feelings or opinions?
>
> Thanks.

I second your concerns. I see no value in RAID 5 and would make the decision of (1) or (2) based on a realistic appraisal of when you will be able to purchase additional disks which, quite frankly, would be my choice. After purchasing Oracle and the hardware ... why not get some additional disks given the low cost.

Presumably you will want some room for archived log files, etc.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington