Re: Oracle 8i Restoring Hot backup on a different server - Solaris

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:38:02 +1000

Manoj Rajshekar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Solaris server which is presently taking hot backups. I have
> built a different Solaris box, with the same version of OS/DB. But the
> directories where files are located are different.
>
> I want to use the hot backups from ServerA and restore them on
> ServerB. I guess I caanot use the existing control file backup from
> ServerA, since the locations of datafiles/logs,etc are different. So I
> assume I need to generate the control file from the trace file and
> recreate it to reflect the new locations,etc.

It is not true, because you can always get to the mount state and issue 'alter database rename file 'X' to 'Y'' commands. That adjust the pointers inside a binary control file.

But because this is a hot backup, and you therefore cannot have usable online redo logs to restore, you will find it easier to do via the trace file.

The basic idea would therefore be to restore your backup datafiles to the new server (not the redo logs, which shouldn't be being backed up anyway). On the old server, you 'alter database backup controlfile to trace'. You then take the trace file that produces to the new server. You edit it so that the file locations are all correct as per the new machine. That is, so that they match where you just restored everything to. You also adjust the locations of the redo logs as shown in the trace file to be the locations where you want the new redo logs to be created.

Since you don't mention which Oracle version you are using (!$%!!@&!*!), then you may or may not have to edit the script so that it mentions issuing a resetlogs (there are two locations where it says noresetlogs by default in 8i, and you need to change both of those. In 9i, two versions of the commands are created in the one trace file by default, and you should strip out and discard the noresetlogs one, leaving behind the resetlogs one that will do what you need).

You then get to the nomount state, run the edited trace file as a SQL script, and that should get your new database open. It will just have had a resetlogs performed to it, though, so if you care about it, best to immediately shut it down and take a new backup of it.

Regards
HJR