recover question

From: Tom <tomNOSPAM_at_teameazyriders.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:27:40 +0100

RHEL 3.0
9.2.0.4

Hi,

Just running through recover scenarios so that i can fully document all eventualities. Each night i take full backups using RMAN and the current control file is included in this backup. I can use this backup to restore an instance to a completely new machine as long as i have the control files from the asource database.

Is it possible to restore an instance using just a full RMAN backup that contains the current control file from the db when it was backed up?

If i have access to the control files then i can recover quite simply using something along the lines of

sql > startup mount

rman > run {
allocate channel dev1 type disk;
restore database
release channel dev1;
}

sql > alter database open resetlogs

but this does not work if i don't the control file

thanks

(sill wading my way though the docs at tahiti regarding all this) Received on Fri Jul 02 2004 - 04:27:40 CDT