Does optimizer's behaviour change with this ?

From: Spendius <spendius_at_muchomail.com>
Date: 2 Jul 2004 02:58:10 -0700

Hi,
Do you think the # of CPUs on a server is a variable with which the optimizer may play ? We've migrated a DB from 8.1.7.1 on a 4-CPU machine to 64-bit 8.1.7.4 on an 8-CPU box, and for exactly the same activity on this database we're experiencing A LOT more CPU usage: do you think the optimizer may iterate more to find the best path of a statement since it's found it's got more CPUs at its disposal, and thus require more processing ?? I'm talking about SunOS 5.8 here.

Thanks !
Spendius Received on Fri Jul 02 2004 - 04:58:10 CDT