Re: recover question

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:57:22 GMT

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:27:40 +0100, Tom wrote:

> RHEL 3.0
> 9.2.0.4
>
> Hi,
>
> Just running through recover scenarios so that i can fully document all eventualities.
> Each night i take full backups using RMAN and the current control file is included in this backup. I can use this backup to restore
> an instance to a completely new machine as long as i have the control files from the asource database.
>
> Is it possible to restore an instance using just a full RMAN backup that contains the current control file from the db when it was
> backed up?
>
> If i have access to the control files then i can recover quite simply using something along the lines of
>
> sql > startup mount
>
> rman > run {
> allocate channel dev1 type disk;
> restore database
> release channel dev1;
> }
>
> sql > alter database open resetlogs
>
> but this does not work if i don't the control file
>
> thanks
>
> (sill wading my way though the docs at tahiti regarding all this)

In 9i, you don't need an explicite allocate channel. Also, you forgot "recover database" command. And yes, all the information necessary for doing so is in the control file. That is why you

  1. have multiple copies of the control file, on multiple devices.
  2. ocasionally do 'alter database backup controlfile to '/mydir/myfile.ctl';
  3. set backup to do autobackup of control files.

Of course, you can always create a catalog....

--
Well-behaved women seldom make history