Re: RMAN Failure to Network Drive

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Jul 2004 15:03:09 -0700

mccmx_at_hotmail.com (Matt) wrote in message news:<cfee5bcf.0406302321.6f653e94_at_posting.google.com>...
> > >Metalink has very few hits on this message, probably because it is
> > >actaully an OS error rather than an RMAN error.
> >
> > Metalink has very few hits, because Oracle doesn't support writing to
> > a networked drive. Not on Windows, not on Unix.
> > This means you will be pretty much on your own, if you proceed.
>
> True.. But I've been running on this config for over 2 years with no
> problems. I have done hundreds of clones with RMAN duplicate commands
> and the backups have proved to be OK. I think the network failure is
> due to the increase in the size of our database.
>
> I have tried the DISABLE_OOB parameter (it is a client side setting)
> and I haven't had a failure since.
>
> I can understand Metalink being vague about RMAN remote backups but I
> expected to see some info on DISABLE_OOB (but there is very littel
> anywhere).

This is wild speculation, but I've seen similar scaling problems with other network configurations. I think something similar to http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=68059.1 is happening, that is, at some point the protocol is sending out-of-band udm and the receiving end is not handling it correctly. So setting DISABLE_OOB overrides the problem. But you don't want to disable oob in case something in the data looks just like udm when the network starts garbaging.

Using unsupportable backup procedures is not a very good idea.

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Matt

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  The circuit board of Genie garage door openers
have a failure mode where the door opens at a random time, ignores the