Re: RMAN Failure to Network Drive

From: Matt <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Jul 2004 01:13:34 -0700

> This is wild speculation, but I've seen similar scaling problems with
> other network configurations. I think something similar to
> http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=68059.1
> is happening, that is, at some point the protocol is sending
> out-of-band udm and the receiving end is not handling it correctly.
> So setting DISABLE_OOB overrides the problem. But you don't want to
> disable oob in case something in the data looks just like udm when the
> network starts garbaging.
>
> Using unsupportable backup procedures is not a very good idea.

I guess the underlying issue is the fact that I am backing up to a network drive and at the end of the day if I encounter problems then Oracle will offer little help since it is unsupported.

The problem is that the way we have it configured means that I can clone the PROD database to any other server which has access to my network share without having to copy the backup sets locally first. Since we are cloning the database nearly every day this is a big saving for us.

I think I will take you advice and not use the DISABLE_OOB parameter and instead look at why the backups have been failing more often recently...

I suspect that keeping the datafiles smaller than 2 Gb each may help the situation.

Matt Received on Mon Jul 05 2004 - 03:13:34 CDT