Re: Command Line Mastery

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Jul 2004 15:32:17 -0700

melliott42_at_yahoo.com (Michael) wrote in message news:<91721cf.0406301630.7d885ec9_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> Is there a good book you can recommend that exhaustively covers most
> everything you would need to do to as a DBA using Oracle 8\9 using
> SQLPlus (i.e. no GUI)?
>
> In short, I need to become an Oracle SQLPlus command line guru
> yesterday. I have only used the GUI tools to this point. I have very
> little experience with: ALTER DATABASE x, ALTER TABLE x etc. etc. etc.

The Oracle Press 9i DBA Handbook isn't so bad. Between that, the concepts manual and the sql guides and trying things and googling here, you can get through all sorts of learning experiences. The most important thing is to set yourself up a test instance and start doing.

Check out Lawson's book, and the dizwell.com new features paper, too. Ault has a book of scripts, but I haven't looked at it.

Connor McDonald, Cary Milsap and Tom Kyte all have excellent books too, depending on what you mean by command line guru. Some would argue that being a DBA these days means being able to work with stored procedures and PL/SQL and such.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0404_ferrarifactory/