Re: Benefits of RMAN

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:48:11 -0500

On 2004-06-29, Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

> "JEDIDIAH" <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet> wrote in message
>> On 2004-06-26, Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:
>> [deletia]
>>
>> > And keep an eye on things like 10g's ASM: RMAN is the *only* way to back
> up
>> > ASM-based data files. So... just as when 9.2 came along, and we could
> smell
>> > that the days of dictionary-managed tablespace were nearing their end,
> so
>> > you should begin to sense that the days of "begin backup" are drawing to
>> > close. Get with the program, therefore, and invest some effort into the
> one
>> > technology that has a future.
>>
>> You sound like such a Microsoft fanboy when you drone on like that.
>

> Well, I beg your considerable pardon.
>
> But all of the above happens to be true.

What is, or what you think will be?

What Oracle is pushing us into violates "the Unix way of doing things". Since Oracle's core market is with Unix shops, this is not something to trivialize. Disasters impose considerable burdens on an enterprise without making them also contemplate whether or not RMAN will make it through in one piece.

The cost benefit analysis doesn't necessarily work out in Oracle's favor even for large shops that might actually have thousands of files to manage.

--
It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

        They brought us the email virus.

	In my Atari days, such a notion would have             |||
	been considered a complete absurdity.                 / | \