Re: Oracle 10g Database Configuration Assistant disappears

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:33:17 +1000

> > Does your machine have a fixed IP address?
> > Is it connected to the network correctly?
> > Are you installing using a Domain Account or a local account?
> > How clean an install of Windows is this?
> >
> > Not much help, but to answer your specific question directly: no, it's
not
> > buggy. A bit more detail about the configuration of the machine you're
> > installing on to might help a little.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> Hmmm,
> I have used an image that we usually use for production servers.

Well, there you go.

> But today decided to make a fresh Win2K install by hand.
> Reinstalled Win2K Server on HP Proliant DL380G2 server; upgraded to
> SP4; did not install any additional patches; did not install
> anti-virus, just left a bare win2K.

You still haven't answered any of my questions (except, OK, the last one). There seems to be a rash of questioners of late who ask for help, but seem curiously reluctant to part with any of the information that might be needed to actually help them.

> Ran basic Oracle install (peviously I have tried Advanced), which
> indeed finished more or less successfully (with the same two errors
> though, and CSService was again in Starting mode).

Well, as soon as you get those two errors, something about your machine is not right. Because I've never once seen them. And that, I remind you, is after my 18th install this week.

>Checked created
> services, and was even able to "touch" Eterprise Manager web page,
> which was constantly complaining that "database is an unknown state".

That one I've seen, and is resolved simply by having a listener created before attempting to create a database.

And can I just say for the umpteenth time, do NOT create a database as part of the installation procedure. That Oracle Corporation itself fails to grasp the distinction between installing a piece of software and putting it to some productive use is no excuse for you, or anyone else, to fall into the same trap.

> Again disabled CSService and rebooted.

Why? When it doesn't work as advertised, stop faffing around trying to tweak away the problem, and fix the fundamentals.

> Now OracleDBConsole service stopped. Can's connect to EM.
> Bottom line, Oracle 10g on Windows is buggy, buggy, buggy, and too
> much waste of time to touch it now.

Ah. Yes, there's been a spate of those sorts of posters too, of late: it doesn't work first time for *me*, so the product must be buggy. It isn't, not in the installation respect, anyway. If you do the installation separate from the database creation; if you provide enough hard disk space; if you have a fixed IP address; if you are correctly part of a Domain; if you do everything right... it works. About 18 times a week.

So... do you want to try again?

Regards
HJR HJR Received on Fri Jun 18 2004 - 16:33:17 CDT