Re: Oracle 10g Database Configuration Assistant disappears

From: vlad_zavin <vzagvozdin_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2004 11:21:04 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40d260a4$0$6205$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "vlad_zavin" <vzagvozdin_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Made a first try to install Oracle 10g on windows 2000.
> > During Oracle installation got 2 errors: smth about OCR, and CSService
> > does not start, but installation finished successfully.
> > Tried to create a database, but Database Configuration assistant
> > disappeares after the screen with memory parameters?! Tried several
> > times - same result.
> > What's wrong? Still buggy?
> >
> > By the way, the status of CSService is Starting all the time? How do
> > you like it? Disabled it, and rebooted to make sure that this bizzarre
> > status is not the reason for DB assistant to fail.
> >
> > Vlad
>
> For research purposes, I've just finished my 18th install this week onto
> Windows 2000 Professional (not counting the similar number on 2000 Server,
> Advanced Server, XP and assorted Linuxes). Not one of them has ever had a
> problem like this.
>
> Does your machine have a fixed IP address?
> Is it connected to the network correctly?
> Are you installing using a Domain Account or a local account?
> How clean an install of Windows is this?
>
> Not much help, but to answer your specific question directly: no, it's not
> buggy. A bit more detail about the configuration of the machine you're
> installing on to might help a little.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Hmmm,
I have used an image that we usually use for production servers. But today decided to make a fresh Win2K install by hand. Reinstalled Win2K Server on HP Proliant DL380G2 server; upgraded to SP4; did not install any additional patches; did not install anti-virus, just left a bare win2K.
Ran basic Oracle install (peviously I have tried Advanced), which indeed finished more or less successfully (with the same two errors though, and CSService was again in Starting mode). Checked created services, and was even able to "touch" Eterprise Manager web page, which was constantly complaining that "database is an unknown state". Again disabled CSService and rebooted.
Now OracleDBConsole service stopped. Can's connect to EM. Bottom line, Oracle 10g on Windows is buggy, buggy, buggy, and too much waste of time to touch it now. Received on Fri Jun 18 2004 - 13:21:04 CDT