Re: clustering and high availability?

From: Thomas Kyte <thomas.kyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2004 08:09:10 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40cd533a$0$11521$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

> But let's ask him: Tom, did you really mean to say that RAC was a clustering
> topology in its own right? Or were you using clustering topology language
> because RAC (usually) runs on top of such a topology, and therefore the two
> could at a stretch be encompassed with the same terminology? Perhaps Tom
> will help us out with a clarification. Then we can discuss whether he's
> right or wrong based on that clarification (and, incidentally Daniel, just
> because Tom is a VP at Oracle doesn't mean he turns water into wine, or
> falsities into facts... so cut the appeal to authority, because it won't
> wash).

I was using clustering topology language as an analogy -- and took it too far.

We run in a "shared disk" (which I guess in my database state of mind i liberally extended to shared everything for in the database state of mind, the disk is everything :) as opposed to "do not share disks, partition" mode.

I'll be more precise in the future. I've used it as a generalization/ characterization over time.

It would technically be about shared disk, which I over generalized to be a "shared everything".

About that water into wine thing -- I'm still working on that. It could save me huge amounts of money.

I totally agree with authority thingy, just because I (or *anyone*) said it doesn't make it true. My favorite slide in a technology presentation is entitled "Question Authority". Everyone can (does?) make over generalizations, push analogies past their limits of believability, jump to incorrect conclusions. I know I have -- it is good to have it pointed out over time (makes us all look less stupid since we don't keep repeating it). Precision of words is important -- especially in technology.

Clarifications appreciated Received on Mon Jun 14 2004 - 10:09:10 CDT