Re: How to move Oracle database to a new machine?

From: Joan <joan48105_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2004 09:08:45 -0700

D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com> wrote in message news:<NTxic.5513$qP2.13375_at_news.indigo.ie>...
> Joan,
>
> You didn't say what OS the new machine is - If it's different moving
> data files around could get weird. Given how small the database is why
> not just export it from the old machine and import it on the new machine
> after creating a set of matching tablespaces? Not only is this very
> simple you can practice it repeatedly without having to break into a sweat.
>
> David Rolfe
> Orinda Software
> Dublin Ireland

Thanks David. Bear with me if my question sounds too fundamental.

To be able to create the matching tablespaces, I would assume I need to know how tablespaces are set up on the old system, right? Can this information be abtained from Data Dictionary Views completely? Do I need to reinstall Oracle on the new machine first? (The both machines run Linux, I am not sure what version) Use Export in User mode or full database mode?

Thank you very much! Received on Sun Apr 25 2004 - 11:08:45 CDT