Re: How to move Oracle database to a new machine?

From: D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:57:03 +0100

Joan,

You didn't say what OS the new machine is - If it's different moving data files around could get weird. Given how small the database is why not just export it from the old machine and import it on the new machine after creating a set of matching tablespaces? Not only is this very simple you can practice it repeatedly without having to break into a sweat.

David Rolfe
Orinda Software
Dublin Ireland

> Hi all Oracle DBA experts,
>
> At work we have an Oracle 8i on Unix with a small amount of user data
> (less than 10 tables and the largest table has about 4000 records). I
> need to move this database to a new machine. The database has no
> active transactions so I can shut it down whenever I need to.
>
> I have textbook knowledge on how to do this but the only hands-on
> experience I have is installing Oracle8i on a PC. So I really need
> your help.
>
> My plan is to make a closed database backup, install Oracle8i on the
> new machine, then restore the database file. I've read some
> documentation, but I want to be sure that I understand the proper way
> to do this before I begin? Here are a couple alternatives I see:
>
> Plan One.
> a. SQL>shutdown normal;
> b. back up (cp all data files, control files, redo log files, password
> file, parameter file).
> c. install oracle8i on the new machine
> d. restore (cp all backup files to the new machine) when the oracle is
> shut down
> e. SQL>startup pfile=init.ora;
>

> Plan Two:
> a. SQL>shutdown normal;
> b. back up (cp all data files, control files, redo log files, password
> file, parameter file).
> c. install oracle8i on the new machine
> d. restore (cp all backup files to the new machine) when the oracle is
> shut down
> e. SQL>startup mount pfile=init.ora;
> f. SQL>recover database;
> g. SQL>alter database open;
>
> Plan Three:
> Is it easier to do this using Export/Import utility?

Yes. See above.

> The database currently is set in Archivelog mode. But there will be no
> loss of data when I start doing back up so it is not necessary to
> recover the data from archived logs.
>
> 1. My confusion is: for this situation, is the command "recover
> database" necessary? Or once the database files are restored, my job
> is done?
> 2. Do I need to change archive log mode before backup?
> 3. Is there a command to close a database without dismounting it or
> shutting down the instance?
> 4. Are Export/Import utility, Recover Manger etc available on unix
> platform?
> 5. If what I listed above is not correct way to do this, please kindly
> advise how to do this migration.
>
> Because the new machine is not available yet, I haven't actually done
> this. But once it is ready, I have little time to do it. So your
> advice is highly appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Joan

Orinda Software, makers of OrindaBuild, the code generator that knows how oracle works. Received on Sat Apr 24 2004 - 12:57:03 CDT