Re: How to move Oracle database to a new machine?

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SPAMDAMyahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:36:19 -0400

Joan wrote:

> To be able to create the matching tablespaces, I would assume I need
> to know how tablespaces are set up on the old system, right? Can this
> information be abtained from Data Dictionary Views completely?

One way to get this is to do a full export of the old instance and then import it on the new box with show=y, rows=n. This will show you all the SQL statements that will be run for the import without actually running them. The tablespace creation statements will be at the beginning.

Unsolicited advice: I'd use this opportunity to upgrade the Oracle version (the last I heard is that 8.x is supposed to be desupported at the end of Dec 2004 )

--
//-Walt
//