Re: Oracle Export while insertion

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 06:51:45 +0200

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:14:29 +0800, Ursula Lee <ursula.lee_at_thales-is.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>(FYI...Oracle 9.0.2.0.1 running on UNIX HP-UX11)
>I would like to ask if we can do Oracle Export for backup while the
>insertion is still occurring?
>
>Is there a great impact on this?
>
>Problem is we can't stop the process but want to do the Export for
>backup at night time.
>
>And the Oracle export command using is :
>$ORACLE_HOME/bin/exp pwd/pwd PARFILE=expParam
>
>Regards,
>Ursula

Export should not be used as a backup mechanism. It does NOT constitute a valid *physical* backup, it constitutes a *logical* backup.
It should not be used as a backup, because you basically can't use it to recover from corruption, other than replacing the full database or a full schema by an export.
You may want to read up on the various backup strategies. That said, if you don't use the CONSISTENT=YES parameter to the export, you may be in for some nasty surprises and an inconsistent database, after disaster strikes.

Of course you can stop the process, just kill it! Do you prefer to be fired, when you can't recover your database?

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA