Re: Oracle Export while insertion

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:08:42 +1000

Ursula Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (FYI...Oracle 9.0.2.0.1 running on UNIX HP-UX11)
> I would like to ask if we can do Oracle Export for backup while the
> insertion is still occurring?

Of course you can. Why not ask yourself a different question: if I am inserting into a table, does that stop you selecting from the table? And if it doesn't stop you, then why would export (which is merely doing a clever sort of select) behave differently?

What will be included in the export, of course, will *not* include the records inserted before the export began (if you say CONSISTENT=Y) or before the export of that particular table began (if CONSISTENT=N).

Freshly-inserted records will therefore not get included.

> Is there a great impact on this?

Of course. Export is selecting records. Export is therefore doing work against your database. That extra work might or might not be noticeable as an impact, though: it depends on how well behaved your database is without export running.

> Problem is we can't stop the process but want to do the Export for
> backup at night time.

Export is not a viable or valid backup solution. It is a valid complement to a physical backup, but it should not be relied upon on its own.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Apr 23 2004 - 00:08:42 CDT