Re: Suggestions please

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2004 15:33:15 -0700

"G Dahler" <yellow-shark_at_spamex.com> wrote in message news:<KwQgc.26550$Gp4.434825_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de
> >

> > It seems to be a low-complexity option that
> > gives a very short down-time.
> >
> > Take hot backup
> > Ship outstanding archived logs
> > Start recovery
> > Stop primary
> > Ship last bit of redo log
> > Startup.
> >

> I know the OP said that both databases are on Solaris. He did not say wether
> oracle was the same release on both server but I presume it is.
>
> This raises a general question in my mind:
>
> To what extent is a database file, copied from a server to another server,
> "compatible" ?
>
> I mean:
>
> Can you use a file created on solaris 2.6 on solaris 2.7 ? On solaris 2.8 ?
> 2.9 ? What about minor revisions of the O/S (Eg: Solaris 9 original, solaris
> 9 + recommended patches) ? What about minor revisions of the RDBMS ? (Eg:
> 8.1.7.3 and 8.1.7.4)
>
> I don't recall reading anything in the docs about datafile compatibility
> accross OS versions or RDBMS versions.
>
> Any pointers/clarification appreciated.

Search for "Transportable Tablespaces" on metalink or in the docs (esp Note:62818.1 for 8i). You can get a real good idea from that, especially what is not supported. Minor revisions are usually ok. Within the same OS are usually ok (except 32/64 bit issues). Don't know about more recent solaris.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000292