Re: Suggestions please

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:34:08 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Scenario: two networked servers. One server currently houses a 9i
> database. Database is to be moved to the new server. (Both servers are
> Solaris). Database is 24x7, so downtime must be minimal. Database is
> only 20GB in size.
>
> The two servers cannot share storage of any kind, so my original idea of
> creating new tablespaces within the same database but on the new box's
> storage and then moving tables/indexes across to the new tablespaces is
> not a go-er (unless maybe an NFS mount would do the trick...??). For
> the same reason, my other idea of using dbms_redefinition to move the
> data across and incurring minimal table locking is not a flyer.

If NFS is possible, would using rman to duplicate the db be an option?

Another possibility, although I personally never did this would be to export to a named pipe, gzip from that pipe into another pipe and feed a network transfer (e.g. ssh) from the second pipe to the target host, uncompress & import to the target.

On the optimistic assumption that the network and target host can keep up with the data rate, 20 GB even with 100 MBit/s should get transfered within 3 Minutes and a little, so I'd expect a downtime around 10 Minutes. However, this is pure mathematics backed up by no experience whatsoever. So it's up to you what you make of this (I'd probably make a mess ;-) )

Cheers,

Holger Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 07:34:08 CDT