Re: Suggestions please

From: G Dahler <yellow-shark_at_spamex.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:31:12 -0400

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de news:c60g55$o8q$1_at_hercules.btinternet.com...

> It seems to be a low-complexity option that
> gives a very short down-time.
>
> Take hot backup
> Ship outstanding archived logs
> Start recovery
> Stop primary
> Ship last bit of redo log
> Startup.

I know the OP said that both databases are on Solaris. He did not say wether oracle was the same release on both server but I presume it is.

This raises a general question in my mind:

To what extent is a database file, copied from a server to another server, "compatible" ?

I mean:

Can you use a file created on solaris 2.6 on solaris 2.7 ? On solaris 2.8 ? 2.9 ? What about minor revisions of the O/S (Eg: Solaris 9 original, solaris 9 + recommended patches) ? What about minor revisions of the RDBMS ? (Eg: 8.1.7.3 and 8.1.7.4)

I don't recall reading anything in the docs about datafile compatibility accross OS versions or RDBMS versions.

Any pointers/clarification appreciated. Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 08:31:12 CDT