Re: Suggestions please

From: Maik Musall <maik_at_musall.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:18:09 +0200

G Dahler wrote:
> This raises a general question in my mind:
>
> To what extent is a database file, copied from a server to another server,
> "compatible" ?
>
> I mean:
>
> Can you use a file created on solaris 2.6 on solaris 2.7 ? On solaris 2.8 ?
> 2.9 ? What about minor revisions of the O/S (Eg: Solaris 9 original, solaris
> 9 + recommended patches) ? What about minor revisions of the RDBMS ? (Eg:
> 8.1.7.3 and 8.1.7.4)
>
> I don't recall reading anything in the docs about datafile compatibility
> accross OS versions or RDBMS versions.
>
> Any pointers/clarification appreciated.

The exact release of the operating system are (in theory) not affecting the portability of datafiles. As long as

are the same, you should be able to just copy the files, because the headers are identical in those cases. Reason: the Oracle-feature "transportable tablespace" relies on that and defines the above criteria.

Regards
Maik Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 15:18:09 CDT