Re: Oracle AS installation question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2004 13:24:47 -0700

garmanyj_at_yahoo.com (John) wrote in message news:<7b9adce6.0404160725.7de053c9_at_posting.google.com>...
> Joel, Mike
>
> Oracle AS10g does not require a static IP. It used the /etc/hosts
> file to resolve it's own address. If you install it on
> appsvr.mycomp.com you need to add a loop back in the hosts file like:
>
> 127.0.0.1 appsvr.mycomp.com appsvr
>
> so that thee OS resolves the fully qualified name back to the local
> host.

Everyone:

This is from the 10g Installation guide for Windows, ch. 2. If it is obsolete, please post reference:

2.9 Support for DHCP
Oracle Application Server is supported on computers that use DHCP on these platforms:

Linux

Microsoft Windows

Oracle Application Server is not supported on Solaris computers that use DHCP.

> John
>
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0404131559.a2da7bf_at_posting.google.com>...
> > mikeeria_at_interia.pl (Michael) wrote in message news:<875e251b.0404130916.28c508ff_at_posting.google.com>...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > When installing Oracle9iAS on Win2k I had the error that a fully
> > > qualified host is needed and from what I read on the net
> > > (http://dba-oracle.com/oracle_news/2004_3_30_rittman.htm)
> > > (http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Oracle9iAS/ORACLE9IAS_1.shtml)
> > > is that a static IP is mandatory.
> > >
> > > Is this restriction still valid for Oracle Application Server 10g?
> > > OR Is there a work around?
> > >
> > > In other words :
> > > Is it possible to install Oracle Application Server 10g (9.0.4) having
> > > a dynamic IP ?
> >
> > I dunno, but I would grep the conf files for your ip address, and if
> > found, that is probably what you would have to change on at least two
> > tiers every time the address changes, plus probably some more stuff
> > that I wouldn't pretend to know about.
> >
> > jg

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Copyright ? 2004, Oracle Corporation." - metalink login page.