Re: Suggestions please

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:43:03 +0000 (UTC)

Notes in-line

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland http://www.index.is/oracleday.php June 2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"G Dahler" <yellow-shark_at_spamex.com> wrote in message news:KwQgc.26550$Gp4.434825_at_news20.bellglobal.com...

> I know the OP said that both databases are on Solaris. He did not say
wether
> oracle was the same release on both server but I presume it is.
>
> This raises a general question in my mind:
>
> To what extent is a database file, copied from a server to another server,
> "compatible" ?
>
> I mean:
>
> Can you use a file created on solaris 2.6 on solaris 2.7 ? On solaris 2.8
?
> 2.9 ? What about minor revisions of the O/S (Eg: Solaris 9 original,
solaris
> 9 + recommended patches) ? What about minor revisions of the RDBMS ? (Eg:
> 8.1.7.3 and 8.1.7.4)

I would always check any migration/upgrade/install documentation carefully, I would be particularly cautious when switching from 32-bit to 64-bit, just in case some memory structure also got copied to disc in a block structure.

In general, though, I would tend to assume that the files are compatible across reasonably close versions of the same operating system. I think it's probably easy to check though - if a test database starts up and allows a little data manipulation, it probably okay. Just make sure you generate some redo, rollback, LMT bitmap update, ASSM bitmap update, data update, LOB update and recover from a crash and you've probably tested all the bits where an O/S type of error might occur.