Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:00:17 +1000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1080687331.724317_at_yasure...
> rkusenet wrote:
>
> > Why should we believe your anecdote any more than you believe other
anecdotes
> > where claims are made that after switching from Informix to Oracle, the
customer
> > experienced a performance loss.
>
> Do me a favour ... don't.
>
> But if you think there is some way to tune Informix to be faster than
> DB2 or Oracle perhaps you could explain to me why this page:
> http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp?resulttype=all
> doesn't contain the word "Informix" anywhere on it.
>
> In fact I'd like to see you find me any benchmark certified by a
> credible independent organization that supports this oft-repeated
> rant about how fast Informix is. Is it being used to run any major
> credit card company? Any major bank? Any stock exchanges? Any
> government databanks such as CIA, Homeland Security? NSA? FBI?
> Perhaps it is being used to host a major web site like Amazon.com
> or eBay?
>
> Didn't think so.

I'd just like to say that I was head-hunted by Informix, and worked for them.

For a week.

I refused to teach it once I'd seen it, on the grounds that I never could keep a straight face.

'Nuff Said.

The only slight downer was that two days after I left, IBM bought them out. I could have been a DB2 contender by now!!

Regards
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-