Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: rkusenet <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:13:07 -0500

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote

> No. As stated above ... ran this at a large national bank. And believe
> what we found.

Why should we believe your anecdote any more than you believe other anecdotes where claims are made that after switching from Informix to Oracle, the customer experienced a performance loss.

> > Instead of SCROLL CURSOR, a TEMP TABLE can also be created for same.
>
> And what happens during the time the temp table is being loaded?

Isn't it obvious that there is a lock at that time. All Informix application shud be coded to wait for few seconds if there is a lock. If any one dies instantly with an error message that the row is locked, then it is not the right way to do so. These are momentary locks, unless someone is updating a massive number of rows. If I were the applicaton designer, I would avoid doing so during production hours.

> Same thing that happens in SQL Server. Surely you are not advocating
> a full table lock for as long as it takes to load a temp table.
>
> > I am sure same technique will work just fine in SQLServer.
> >
> > Bottomline: this was never an issue in any enterprise RDBMS.
>
> Except Oracle.

eh?? Received on Tue Mar 30 2004 - 16:13:07 CST