Re: single table hash clusters in 9.2 - anyone tried them out yet?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:52:22 +0000 (UTC)

I wasn't at the Steve Adams' day, but at the Miracle Masterclass 2004, he introduced the very special optimisation available in single table hash clusters. Oracle can turn a hashkey into a rowid, and includes a special latching optimisation if you have built your hash cluster perfectly.

Paul,
If you want a prime example of how effective this can be, read the full disclosure document for Oracle's 1M transaction per minute TPC-C benchmark. There are about 5 PK indexes, and everything else is done by single table hash clusters.

Mark,
One reason why you may have had variable results with single table hash clusters, is that if you get a collision in a block, the block is flagged as an exception, and Oracle falls back to a more CPU intensive operation, with extra latching, to acquire the target row.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar