Re: single table hash clusters in 9.2 - anyone tried them out yet?

From: Mark <simmons_mark_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2004 21:57:57 -0800

Jonathan,

Thanks for the info. I've actually visited your website on a number of occasions in the last few years. I was stumped on some parallel query problems a while back, and it seems like you had more info than Metalink if I remember correctly.

Anyway...

It has happened to me on a number of occasions that a single table hash cluster appears faster when you trace a few single table hash lookups vs. a PK. However, when you run a test job that accesses data all over the place the index wins on occasion. It could be that I've ran into exactly what you are talking about on a subset of the records, and the cost for this is very high.

One of the things, I've been thinking to test lately is how bad performance goes down the tubes once you insert more rows than the "hash keys" value. From what I remember off the top of my head, it's not really clear in the Oracle documentation as to what happens at that point. I know it can't be good, but still I'm curious how fast the onset of a serious performance problem occurs if you let it boil over the initial setting. (Maybe it just breaks, I can't remember.)

The other thing that is not that clear is how uniform the distribution of the data needs to be in order for the hashing function to work correctly. For example, if I have large breaks in the value of one of the hash keys, does that screw up the algorithm?

What I'm saying is do the hash columns have to be like

"1 2 3 5 6 7 8 10 11 12..."
  or will
"1 3 9 15 28 37 82 91..."

work equally as well. I've always assumed the data has to be like the first scenario in order to work well. If you know for certain, I'd be interested to know the answer.

On a side note...

If I remember right, there's a white paper on hotsos.com that graphs out the scaling function for each of the different access methods. They've got some other cool stuff over there too. I especially like the paper they have on tracing the 10053 event.

Mark Simmons
Sr. Oracle DBA
Sabre-Holdings, Southlake, TX