Re: oradim

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:44:07 GMT

Chuck wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in
>
> > Chuck wrote:
> >
> >> Been there, read that. There is nothing in this manual (or any other
> >> Oracle manual that I've found) that explains how to get oradim to
> >> specify which oracle home to use to start an instance with. Keep in
> >> mind that the goal here is to have two services, each starting an
> >> instance using a different oracle home (i.e. a different set of
> >> executables), each at a different patch level of 8.1.7.4.
> >
> > With oradim you specify the PFILE ... the init.ora. You also have
> > values for ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID set in the environment.
> >
> > That is all the information required.
> >

> That is all the information that is required *if* there is only one
> instance. I am trying to create two services that start two instances
> automatically, but each using a different home. I want these two
> instances to start up whenever the server is rebooted. From what I am
> reading, it does not appear that oradim can handle that on it's own.
>
> In essence I want to be able to the same thing on Windows that dbstart
> does on Unix - the ability to specify for each instance, what home to use
> when it starts up.
> --
> Chuck
> Remove "_nospam" to reply by email

See my reply - it references the docco sections that should clear up the confusion. If not email me at forbrich at telusplanet dot net

Quick summary - use absolute path referencing to the oradim and that will automatically determine the appropriate home.

/Hans Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 15:44:07 CST