Re: oradim

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:34:21 GMT

Chuck wrote:

> ilaletin_at_usa.net (Igor Laletin) wrote in
>
> > Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net> wrote in message
> > news:<Xns94805C12D6AABchuckhsofthomenet_at_130.133.1.4>... ...
> >> The only references to oradim in the 8i docs are in 8i the Migration
> >> Guide pages 4-15, 7-16, and 13-5.
> >
> > Try "Oracle8i Administrator's Guide for Windows NT" -> Chapter 6
> > "Post-Installation Database Creation" -> "Using ORADIM to Administer
> > an Oracle Instance".
> >
> > Regards,
> > Igor
> >

> Been there, read that. There is nothing in this manual (or any other
> Oracle manual that I've found) that explains how to get oradim to specify
> which oracle home to use to start an instance with. Keep in mind that the
> goal here is to have two services, each starting an instance using a
> different oracle home (i.e. a different set of executables), each at a
> different patch level of 8.1.7.4.
> --

I believe your question is answered in Chapter 3, which discusses Multiple Home, specifically the section about "Changing the value of your Path", followed by the reference above to Chapter 6.

Once all of that is absorbed, the final step is to reread the Chapter 3 parts about "Setting variables in Environment" to get your final answer.

Admittedly this is not straight forward and requires some thinking, reflection and logic. For example, you have to realize that oradim is an executable, and that you want to match the executable to a patch level, and that the PATH determines which executable will be run. (But I'm sure you knew that.) However, the doc does explicitly state that the ORACLE_HOME being used matches the PATH to the executable - the reference is:

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87861_01/NT817EE/index.htm
> Chapter 3
> Section "Setting Variables in the Environment or the Registry"
> Subsection "ORACLE_HOME"
> List element 2, which starts with

"For example, if you run C:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN\SQLPLUS.EXE, SQLPLUS.EXE looks in C:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN\ORACLE.KEY to find out where to look for its registry variables."

I suspect the final answer is pretty simple - set PATH before running ORADIM.exe to make sure you get the ORADIM that matches the patch (just in case ORADIM itself was updated by the patch).

/Hans Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 11:34:21 CST