Re: yipeee!

From: Database Guy <dbguy101_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2004 13:46:00 -0800

bucknuggets_at_yahoo.com (Buck Nuggets) wrote in message news:<66a61715.0402050632.542bd984_at_posting.google.com>...
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
> > My point being that if I made one change to the benchmark ... say added
> > the following ... "one hour into the test pull the plug on one node and
> > complete the job" ... shared nothing and federated databases wouldn't
> > even be able to compete.
>
> Kind of neat how as soon as product a has a new feature its apologists
> declare it the essential and distinguishing feature in the
> marketplace..
>
> Now, if it works as smoothly as you describe - that's great, and I'll
> look forward to using it. On the other hand, in my experience with
> MPP databases (primarily Informix on AIX using SP2), I could go a year
> without having to reboot any nodes.

Daniel seems to think otherwise. He clearly feels that Oracle's allegedly faster recover from node failures outweighs its less-than-half-speed RAC performance under BAU circumstances (i.e. nodes working). I can't understand why Oracle nodes crash so much, but it's not a product I know well. Hopefully someone else will explain.

DG Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 15:46:00 CST