Re: Hmmm, it's starting....

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:00:08 GMT

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:45:12 -0800, Daniel Morgan wrote:

> My bet ... you sat in your cube and did nothing. No doubt your whining
> about "chosen people" here will earn you a seat in the next round of
> Betas.

Your bet is right. I didn't do anything and I don't plan on doing so, either. I work for a paying customer and I just might advise my boss to look elsewhere next time around when the new purchasing decision is made. I'm not the one to try sucking up to the mighty Oracle Corp., I'm the one who influences the decision whether to buy the product or not. And next time, it just might be someone more open and fair. As I have said, it is reminiscent of DEC. It's Oracle's job to try appeasing me, not the other way round. As for the next batch of betas, I'm already looking at PostgresSQL and DB2. The next batch of betas might not be needed, but thanks for the offer. If the company gets more open and evenhanded, I might consider it. If reaction from you Oracle drones is so bad when I asked for evenhanded treatment of people trying to learn it, how would you react on some really hard request, like supporting V6? As I have said, you people are very convinced in your own greatness, just like DEC people were before their demise. Ken Olsen was also a very flamboyant guy, although he didn't exactly fly MIGs. The situation with PeopleSoft does look an awful lot like the situation with VaxBI and Emulex. DEC was very clever there, just like Wylie the Coyote. May the force be with you. After all, I am still a customer, I wish you all the best, but don't test me too much. Remember, if I'm willing to look at your beta, you're not doing me a favor by sending a $0.05 CD, I'm doing you a favor by learning and advertising your product. At present, I'm seriously disinclined to continue doing so and I'm not going to subject myself to a bureaucratic procedure just because you guys think you're great and that I should do so. If you wish to send a beta, you can send me an email, I'll consider it, otherwise, this conversation is over. Once again, there are other vendors and databases, remember.

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)