Re: Hmmm, it's starting....

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:39:13 GMT

"Mladen Gogala" <mgogala_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:pan.2004.01.19.02.01.45.612275_at_adelphia.net...
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:45:12 -0800, Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > My bet ... you sat in your cube and did nothing. No doubt your whining
> > about "chosen people" here will earn you a seat in the next round of
> > Betas.
>
> Your bet is right. I didn't do anything and I don't plan on doing so,
either. I
> work for a paying customer and I just might advise my boss to look
elsewhere
> next time around when the new purchasing decision is made. I'm not the one
> try sucking up to the mighty Oracle Corp., I'm the one who influences the
> decision whether to buy the product or not. And next time, it just might
be
> someone more open and fair. As I have said, it is reminiscent of DEC.
It's
> Oracle's job to try appeasing me, not the other way round. As for the next
> batch of betas, I'm already looking at PostgresSQL and DB2. The next batch
of
> betas might not be needed, but thanks for the offer. If the company gets
more
> open and evenhanded, I might consider it. If reaction from you Oracle
drones is
> so bad when I asked for evenhanded treatment of people trying to learn it,
how
> would you react on some really hard request, like supporting V6? As I
have
> said, you people are very convinced in your own greatness, just like DEC
people
> were before their demise. Ken Olsen was also a very flamboyant guy,
although he
> didn't exactly fly MIGs. The situation with PeopleSoft does look an awful
lot
> like the situation with VaxBI and Emulex. DEC was very clever there, just
like
> Wylie the Coyote. May the force be with you. After all, I am still a
customer,
> I wish you all the best, but don't test me too much. Remember, if I'm
willing
> to look at your beta, you're not doing me a favor by sending a $0.05 CD,
I'm
> doing you a favor by learning and advertising your product. At present,
I'm
> seriously disinclined to continue doing so and I'm not going to subject
myself
> to a bureaucratic procedure just because you guys think you're great and
that I
> should do so. If you wish to send a beta, you can send me an email, I'll
> consider it, otherwise, this conversation is over. Once again, there are
other
> vendors and databases, remember.
>
> --
> None of us is as dumb as all of us.
> (http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)

Boy, you are a loser; a legend in your own mind. "Boo, Hoo, Oracle didn't send me a bug free beta in the mail and give me free support and take me to dinner. I'm going to take my ball and play elsewhere."

You've got a chip the size of Texas on your shoulder and think the world owes you a living. Glad I don't work for or with you or work for me. I count my lucky stars.

No, I don't work for Oracle. Yes, I've been an Oracle customer and been involved in Betas (8i, and 9i). Sure we had to ask Oracle to be included in the beta, sign some paper work, but it wasn't that difficult. They gave us excellent support, some free classes (beta classes, but hey they were free; still it was a bargain.) and access to developers etc. I don't know what was the process for 10G (moved on to a different company that is also an Oracle customer.), but probably not that different. Clearly, Oracle made the right choice not inviting someone who can't make a little effort to indicate they wanted to participate in a 10G beta. (but if you are still dealing with version 6 then I don't see the point to jump to 10G.)

Good luck, grow up.
Jim Received on Sun Jan 18 2004 - 22:39:13 CST