Re: rman backup to tape?

From: utkanbir <hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Jan 2004 05:09:27 -0800

Hi Gurus ,

Thanks for your mail. i am little bit confused. If rman cant backup data directly to tape without legato or etc. , doesnt it mean that every customer also needs 3rd party softwares like legato. I am new with oracle , but i know it is possible for example in informix to backup data to tape device without using legato or etc. Both ontape and onbar can do this. May be rman is a new way for backups then there must be a older way (like informixs ontape)

I am trying to backup a datawarehouse database , my system uses emc disk array but unfortunately we dont have enough disk space to get the whole backup. May be i can take the backups by using ftp from server to backup server than tape but i must be sure about data integrity. The backup runs at night which no user exists , is it possible to get the ftp copies of data files without stopping the dbserver . (I mean if the db server has the lates checkpoint than there must be no dirty buffer in shared memory , since everything is on disk , i can copy the file)

Kind Regards,
hope