Re: rman backup to tape?

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:19:17 +0100

"utkanbir" <hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:f6c90ebe.0401120509.8de6e3e_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi Gurus ,
>
> Thanks for your mail. i am little bit confused. If rman cant backup
> data directly to tape without legato or etc. , doesnt it mean that
> every customer also needs 3rd party softwares like legato.
Yes.

> I am new
> with oracle , but i know it is possible for example in informix to
> backup data to tape device without using legato or etc. Both ontape
> and onbar can do this. May be rman is a new way for backups then there
> must be a older way (like informixs ontape)
So, how do they manage the tape control interface? Or do they just stream a tarfile to /dev/tape?

> I am trying to backup a datawarehouse database , my system uses emc
> disk array but unfortunately we dont have enough disk space to get the
> whole backup. May be i can take the backups by using ftp from server
> to backup server than tape but i must be sure about data integrity.
> The backup runs at night which no user exists , is it possible to get
> the ftp copies of data files without stopping the dbserver . (I mean
> if the db server has the lates checkpoint than there must be no dirty
> buffer in shared memory , since everything is on disk , i can copy the
> file)

A) Your keyboard has a questiom mark key ("?"). Using it makes reading your

      stuff much easier.
B) What about nfs-automounting the backup server?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Mon Jan 12 2004 - 07:19:17 CST