Re: rman backup to tape?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:47:47 +0100

Comments embedded

On 12 Jan 2004 05:09:27 -0800, hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com (utkanbir) wrote:

>Thanks for your mail. i am little bit confused. If rman cant backup
>data directly to tape without legato or etc. , doesnt it mean that
>every customer also needs 3rd party softwares like legato.
Incorrect. Oracle comes with a stripped down version of Legato which allows you to do backups to a *local* tape drive

 I am new
>with oracle , but i know it is possible for example in informix to
>backup data to tape device without using legato or etc. Both ontape
>and onbar can do this. May be rman is a new way for backups then there
>must be a older way (like informixs ontape)
>
>I am trying to backup a datawarehouse database , my system uses emc
>disk array but unfortunately we dont have enough disk space to get the
>whole backup. May be i can take the backups by using ftp from server
>to backup server than tape but i must be sure about data integrity.
>The backup runs at night which no user exists , is it possible to get
>the ftp copies of data files without stopping the dbserver . (I mean
>if the db server has the lates checkpoint than there must be no dirty
>buffer in shared memory , since everything is on disk , i can copy the
>file)

Using ftp to backup an open database doesn't constitute a consistent backup. You would need to develop your own *hot* backup script, which would call ftp to copy your files to an extra server. As ftp is not very reliable and easy to be cracked this is a horror scenario. You definitely shouldn't apply it to a datawarehouse

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA