Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:50:34 +0100

J Alex wrote:

> <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote
>

>>"J Alex" <nospam_at_nospam.net> wrote
>>
>>>My 2 cents - college degrees matter in IT, just like they do in every

> other
>
>>>professional field. The problem-hires I've seen have been when companies
>>>hire people without degrees, or with degrees in unrelated fields. As the
>>>field matures and companies start requiring comp. sci. degrees, the

> problem
>
>>>of unqualified people will disappear.
>>

>>It is just nonsense you need a comp.sci degree to be successful in IT.

> I never said that.
>

>>Comp.sci has very little to do with practical IT.

> Depends on the program I guess, but I learned lots of practical IT,
> especially development methods and good practices. I'd say the classes were
> a 50-50 mix of programming classes and theory.
>

>>People with a
>>comp.sci degree aren't necessarily better developers or administrators
>>compare to people without such a degree.

> Sure they do. Some people without the degrees are very good, but invariably
> the developers/dbas that have been least effective have not had an
> IT-related degree. Why do you think IT is so different than say, chemistry
> or geology?

Right - thank you. I'm from the era comp.sci education had to be invented. By your default, I would be less effective than you. Funny how many companies ask for me by name, then. Oh - I see; I'm one the the exceptions?!?

>>There is no problem of 'unqualified people'.

> Then why are people on this board advocating certification requirements? If
> everybody in IT is fully qualified to do their job, then certification is a
> waste of time. And if there is no problem with unqualified people, why did
> you say "I routinely notice all people working in IT younger than about 30
> usually don't know anything about development methods and logical thinking."
> Please be consistent in your posts.

Hmmm - I do see a lot from Daniel Morgan. And with his background (he's in the teaching business) I see another point why he would defend regulation and advertise more education (if that is the right way to put it; I don't mean advertise in any commercial way).
--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel