Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: J Alex <nospam_at_nospam.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:13:17 GMT

<sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote
> "J Alex" <nospam_at_nospam.net> wrote
> >
> > My 2 cents - college degrees matter in IT, just like they do in every
other
> > professional field. The problem-hires I've seen have been when companies
> > hire people without degrees, or with degrees in unrelated fields. As the
> > field matures and companies start requiring comp. sci. degrees, the
problem
> > of unqualified people will disappear.
>

> It is just nonsense you need a comp.sci degree to be successful in IT.

I never said that.

> Comp.sci has very little to do with practical IT.

Depends on the program I guess, but I learned lots of practical IT, especially development methods and good practices. I'd say the classes were a 50-50 mix of programming classes and theory.

> People with a
> comp.sci degree aren't necessarily better developers or administrators
> compare to people without such a degree.

Sure they do. Some people without the degrees are very good, but invariably the developers/dbas that have been least effective have not had an IT-related degree. Why do you think IT is so different than say, chemistry or geology?

> There is no problem of 'unqualified people'.

Then why are people on this board advocating certification requirements? If everybody in IT is fully qualified to do their job, then certification is a waste of time. And if there is no problem with unqualified people, why did you say "I routinely notice all people working in IT younger than about 30 usually don't know anything about development methods and logical thinking." Please be consistent in your posts. Received on Wed Jan 07 2004 - 06:13:17 CST